FUT Hair Transplant In Singapore
Hair transplantation is the treatment solution for individuals suffering from hair loss. With today’s medical advancements and transplantation techniques, transplanted hair follicles have a higher survival rate and will behave as if they were at their original site.
Causes Of Hair Loss
Hair loss can be caused by a few factors and it affects both men and women although hair loss concerns are more prevalent among males. Below are some of the factors that contribute to hair loss:
- Scarring from prior injuries or surgeries on the head, face and body.
- Diseases that causes hair loss such as Effluvium, Alopecia, Thyroid, etc.
- Hereditary hair loss.
Some hair loss conditions may be more severe than others. However, when they are treated with the right mix of oral medication, topical hair regenerative lotions and follicular regeneration treatments, it is possible to restore hair density and hair lines to any affected areas.
Various Hair Loss Patterns
Male Pattern Baldness (MPB) based on the Hamilton-Norwood scale
Female Pattern Baldness (FPB) based on the Ludwig & Savin scale
Treat Hair Loss With Hair Transplant
At Dream, we adopt a three-prong approach to treat hair loss concerns with a combination of the following:
- Oral medications to control and slow down hair loss.
- Hair Regenerative Spray for hair loss control and stimulation of new hair growth.
- Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) for hair restoration to bald areas.
Restoring hair growth requires your body to have the right conditions for hair regeneration which can be regulated with the help of oral medications, advanced hair transplant techniques with the help of an experienced surgeon, as well as topical hair regeneration spray that supports new hair growth after transplantation treatments. The spray which plays a vital role in the hair transplant recovery process is targeted to prolong the Anagen Phase, that is the only phase in the hair growth cycle where new follicle regeneration and growth happens. The spray complements the hair transplant treatment by prolonging the hair growth period, providing nutrients so the scalp can regenerate a higher number of new strands and maintain a healthy re-growth cycle.
Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) Technique & Its Benefits
At Dream, we adopt the Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) method where the surgeon harvests a strip of tissue with healthy hair from the back or side of your scalp. Our experienced hair specialists then separate the tissues using stereomicroscopic magnification into small clusters of follicular units for transplantation.
Benefits of Strip Harvesting Used In FUT Method:
- Fine & Unnoticeable scars: Clean excision technique and the use of Trichophytic Closure Technique – an advanced surgery closure method that hides both edges of the skin to create a tighter bond so the scalp can heal tightly with the thinnest scar possible.
- Minimal Scarring & Reduced Risk Of Thinning Hair At Donor Site: As scars interfere with new hair growth, the strip harvesting method prevents multiple scarred areas from building up with each subsequent session. Should the skin be prone to scarring, the chosen donor sites are limited to a specific site or a site where the scar is least visible. Where repeated sessions are required, the strip harvesting method simply excises the donor area so that there is only one scar to conceal. Robotic hair transplant scars accumulate with each additional treatment and may look more obvious after subsequent treatments.
- Healthier Hair Grafts: Stereomicroscopic magnification allows the hair specialist to separate the follicular units with precision, ensuring that the supporting tissues (nerves, sebum glands, fat, muscle tissues, etc) for the hair grafts’ survival are fully intact. Manually harvested follicular units also have a much lower risk of being traumatized or suffer from graft transection (damage of supporting tissues for hair graft survival) which may happen with robotic follicular extraction.
- Higher Survival Rates: Manually extracted healthy hair grafts with supporting tissues are being transplanted to the recipient site as soon as possible so it leaves the body for a minimal period. The longer the hair graft leaves the body, the more detrimental it is to the quality of the grafts and its survival rate.
- Require Less Number Of Hair Transplant Sessions: The strip harvesting method allows the hair specialist to maximize the size of the graft harvested from the donor site where the hair is most permanent, allowing for the greatest number of grafts to be transplanted in one session. Typically, more grafts can be transplanted in one session of FUT compared to robotic hair transplant methods.
- Lower Risk Of Thinning Hair Around Donor Site: The surgeon will only harvest grafts from areas where hair is most prevalent and dense, usually at the back or sides, as these areas have lower risk of hair thinning.
- Require Smaller Donor Site: The strip harvesting method requires a small strip of scalp from the donor site with good hair density and is suitable for patients with severe balding conditions.
FUT Hair Transplantation Process
What To Expect After A Hair Transplant Procedure
Number Of Hair Transplant Procedures Needed
Hair is restored to different areas of the scalp at different stages. The number of treatments depends on the number of areas (front, mid-scalp and vertex), balding conditions and size and hair density at the donor area. Each of these areas can be treated together or separately, depending on the balding conditions. A man with an average-sized bald area may need up to 3 sessions, while 1 to 2 sessions may be sufficient to restore hair growth in less severe cases.